Canadian gamblers are spoiled for choice with legit poker rooms, sportsbooks and online casinos to choose from (unlike in the U.S where gambling laws have resulted in a patchwork of states which have regulated gambling and online casinos).
Our online casino reviewers have carefully put together a casino top-list of new and exciting casinos offering online real-money slots, blackjack and roulette to casino lovers in Canada. We also include popular and well-established international casino brands offering live dealer casino blackjack and roulette as well as studio-based online casino games to Canadians.
Canadian Casino lovers have a ton of amazing casino entertainment at their disposal – as the top online games studios consistently develop & release fun-filled new new games and innovations each month, which make their way to players via partnerships with online casinos.
Real Money Games you will find at Canadian Online Casinos include:
- Live games – Feel like you’re “in the studio” with live-play casino games like Deal or No Deal and Monopoly Live
- Slots – Enjoy playing real-money slots of every imaginable flavor, theme and layout – from 3 reel classic slots, to 5-liners, jackpot slots, and record breaking games like Book of Dead & Gonzo’s Quest
- Live-dealer casino games – Play against the house with dealers dealing cards in real-time in a remote studio when you play Blackjack, and spinning the roulette wheel live too.
- Video-Poker – a time-old classic and favorite. It comes in a number of cool variants including deuces wild, Jokers wild and more.
- Tournament Poker – Some online casinos like Ignition and BetOnline have dedicated poker sites, or are part of large poker networks – enabling them to offer more poker games & variants than a site that is focused solely on casino. Sites like Ignition casino, Bodog and BetOnline offer small, medium and large-buy in poker tournaments (many with huge prize-pools), as well as cash-games (from small-stakes through to mid stakes and up to high-stakes). These sites are also Bitcoin and cryptocurrency-friendly.
The sites on our list of best Canadian casinos was devised based on player feedback, the variety of payment types available (e.g. Interac casino deposits and withdrawals, Bitcoin support, e-wallets), the number of casino games available, availability of live-chat, telephone support, and of course we look at the deposit bonus amount, play-through terms and real value, and factor in VIP programs reload bonuses and other factors.
Legal Casinos & Gambling in Canada
Gambling is a legal and regulated activity in Canada that is only legal when it is managed by a provincial government.
Gambling regulatory bodies include:
- The BC Lottery Corporation manages and conducts all commercial gambling, including online gambling, in this province on behalf of the B.C. government.
- In Ontario iGaming Ontario, a subsidiary of Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) is responsible for gambling and iGaming in the province.
- Alberta is regulated by the Alberta Gaming, Liquor & Cannabis (AGLC)
- Manitoba: Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries
Frequently Asked Questions
Generally the answer is no. If you live in Canada, you do not need to pay any taxes on profits from online gambling on slots, casino, poker, blackjack etc. There are two exceptions:
1. if you’re going to earn interest on the winnings from online gambling (this must be legally declared that on a T5 form),
2. if a significant proportion of your income comes from online gambling. In which case the profits are sometimes labelled as income and taxed accordingly (e.g. in the case of a professional gambler).
Some of these sites offer larger bonuses for new customers if they make their first deposit using Bitcoin, while others offer weekly reload bonuses for BTC casino players.
All three sites also operate sportsbooks and poker rooms with cash-games and tournaments running 24/7.
Most of the large casinos and bookmakers (like 888 Casino) will accept PayPal from casino customers based in Canadian provinces including Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut,. Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Yukon
Yes it is. In fact Canadians have direct access to government run sports lottery schemes. Sports-betting and casino gambling is legal in Canada, and in fact many online casinos are licensed by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, a gambling regulator based in Quebec.
The criminal code of Canada states that no entity is permitted to operate an illegal online gambling service within Canada. Though considered a "gray area" by some - many online casino which service Canadian customers are located in offshore jurisdictions- and are not breaking laws.
No Canadian citizen has ever been arrested for gambling at an online casino.